Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blending into the next liturgical season . . .

Christmas isn't even technically over and the Valentine's items are already on the shelves. At one grocery store, they had Easter candy on a small display . . . next to the discounted Christmas treats. I did note, however, that Lent begins early this year . . . in February. One of our family sacrifices is giving up meat on Wednesdays and Fridays during Lent. Fridays is obligatory during Lent, Wednesdays are our personal choice. Now, you wouldn't think it would be that much of a sacrifice but every Lent, I suddenly draw a blank on meatless meals. Another thought I have to keep in mind is that my husband takes leftovers for his lunch at work and I now have to make sure he has two of them for Wednesday as he works through meals on his ten-hour day.

One of the meatless meals my family really enjoys (and go figure on this!) is lentils. I simmer dry lentils in seasoned water or vegetable broth along with lots of onions, garlic and spices until they are tender. I serve it over rice with shredded cheddar cheese. As picky as my children can be, they will eat this happily. In fact, my college daughter made this for her friends at college. They had never had it before but after weeks of cafeteria food, they said, "I don't know what this is but it makes my stomach happy and healthy!"

A quick search on-line will produce any number of ways to cook lentils but this is my basic take on the subject:

10-16 ounces of dry lentils
1 large onion, diced
10 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
Salt & pepper to taste

Place the onion and garlic in a large pot with a bit of butter or oil and cook until almost tender and starting to brown a bit. Rinse and then add the lentils to the pot. Add about six to eight cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn down, and simmer for approximately an hour in a covered pot. When the lentils are tender and getting a bit mushy, add salt and pepper to taste. We like to add some chili flakes but just about any herb or spice you like, would probably go well here. Spoon over bowls of hot rice, set out the cheese, and serve.

No comments: