Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reviewing the waning year . . .

Every December, after the bustle of Christmas has calmed down, I pull out both my old calendar and new calendar in order to transfer important dates, birthdays, etc. It is always a poignant time as I fill in the squares with memories. Adding birthdays to my calendar reminds me of the blessings of friendship that God sends into my life. Add an RIP to a birthday date reminds me of how fragile and temporary our human life is here on earth. As the years go by, it sometimes seems as if there are more days reminding me of people who no longer need a birthday gift but a prayer sent to them in honor of their eternal reward.

I also notice how many doctor appointments were noted on the calendar, last year. Last year, was a good year in that few visits to the doctor were required. I see the deadlines noted as my son and I prepared for our trip in May. I recall how anxious I was about the trip and how soon it became an event of the past.

I already have a milestone noted for January 2012 . . . my 18 year old's first day of college! I still remember him opening his first reader and discovering the magic of the printed word.

Well, as I completed my work on the calendar for 2012, I realized that I didn't have any more birthdays to remember for the 'rest of this year'! The day after December 31st, however, the days of 2012, noted for something special or not, will start marching by and probably go even faster than this last year.

No comments: