Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mixing together dinner . . .

My husband says that I cannibalize our meals in that there is usually something in the new meal that was already in a past meal. I admit I'm guilty but when you made a great sauce or gravy, even if only a bit is left, it is worth saving. I keep ziplock snack bags on hand just for this purpose. The few tablespoons go into the bag and the bag goes into the freezer. Only I know what the mystery packets hold!

After so much time out of the house on errands, today, I wasn't in a mood to create dinner so much as mix one together. I decided on pasta with a savory tomato sauce. The pasta water is put to boil and I dug around in the freezer for my mystery packets of flavoring. I tossed in a can of dice tomatoes for extra tomato flavor and now have spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. Before I serve dinner, one of my mystery packets of  pesto will join the formula. The warehouse store sells jars of this and I divide it up into packets and freeze them, too.

My husband maintains that saving money on groceries isn't that difficult . . . It is the thinking that needs to go into it that is a challenge. He likes my thinking and appreciates the fact that I didn't come by these 'smarts' overnight but keep working at finding  new ways to save and prepare a good meal.

No comments: