Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Watched Persimmons Never Ripen . . .

One of my favorite treats is a persimmon. I like the Hachiya type that have to be dead ripe or your will regret it. A less-than-ripe one will pucker your mouth and make it feel like you have just installed wall-to-wall fur - not a pleasant feeling. Imagine my surprise when I walked into Costco and, for the first time I can remember, were selling boxes of my favorite fruit. They were still hard but a wonderful orange color full of promise. That was three weeks ago . . .

I set my box of precious cargo on the counter at home and waited for them to ripen. After a week, they still looked fresh, lovely, and hard to the touch. I tried putting one in a brown paper bag. Another week went by and it loved the paper bag as it kept to it's pretty color and unripened state. I did some research and there were serveral suggestions.

One site said they only finish ripen after a frost so freeze them and then they will be ready for eating. Further research stated that it is only a coincidence that they finish ripening after the first frost and they will still be too tart.

As stated, we tried the brown paper bag approach with no luck.

Currently, I have three of them residing in a plastic bag with an apple. Supposedly, the gasses released by the apple in captivity will encourage the persimmons to ripen. It's been a week . . .

No comments: