Friday, November 4, 2011

Rainy Days and Hot Soup . . .

I will eat a bowl of soup most any day of the week and in most any weather. My husband says it seems to him that I get creative with the cold salads in the Winter and serve way too much soup in the Summer. He just doesn't understand inspiration!

My two, favorite soups are homemade tomato with rice and Chinese Egg Drop Soup. The Egg Drop Soup might finish just a bit ahead of the tomato in a serious contest!

The nice thing about the Chinese Egg Drop Soup is that it is easy to prepare and you can used canned or fresh chicken broth. I have to admit that homemade chicken broth does have an edge but both versions are hot and tasty.

Chinese Egg Drop Soup

3-4 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of white, ground pepper (It's a bit hotter.)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 scallion (green onion), finely diced
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
Sesame oil

Combine the broth, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a roomy cooking pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer. Drizzle in the eggs in 'strands' not all at once and keep stirring gently to form 'threads'. Toss in the scallion, add a teaspoon or two of sesame oil, and serve.

Yes, I've probably posted this in the past but I'm always coming up with various tweaks to make it taste better or go together easier!



No comments: