Saturday, November 26, 2011

One of my versions of Macaroni and Cheese!


I don't always stick to the same recipe when I make Macaroni and Cheese. Sometimes, I want to go high tech and use extra ingredients. Other times, it is a budget meal as I hunt down every last bit of cheese to be found in the refrigerator. I like making a sauce for the meal. I like going the easy route and only have one really messy pan to clean. This recipe is my easy method.

Macaroni and Cheese
1 pound of pasta, your choice of shape although elbow is traditional
2 1/2 cups of grated, sharp cheddar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 stick butter
2 tablespoons dried onions
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Dash of chili flakes
1 cup (or so) of milk
Bread or Panko crumbs

Cook your pasta in salted water until it is almost done. It will finish cooking in the oven. Set aside.

Grate the cheese and place in a large bowl. Mix in the flour, dried onions, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, papper, and chili flakes. If you have a food processor, you can cube the cheese and mix all these ingredients as you process the cheese.

Return the pot of cooked noodles to the heat and add the milk and butter. When the butter has melted and the milk is getting hot, add the cheese mixture and stir until the cheese melts and a sauce forms. You might need to add more milk. Taste for salt and pepper.

Spread the cheese noodles in a greased baking pan. Top with the bread crumbs or Panko crumbs. Grate some Parmesan or Romano over the crumbs, spray with vegetable oil spray to help the crumbs crisp in the oven.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.

I like doing it this was and it goes together quickly on a rushed evening yet tastes like you fussed. And, the best part, you only have the one pot to clean.

Ideas . . .
If you like cheese and tomato combination, you can add some canned diced tomatoes, drained, to your cheese pasta mix before baking. Some Basil and Oregano will give it an Italian flair.

My husband likes me to mix in 1/4 cup or so of crumbled Feta cheese to sharpen the taste of the whole dish.

I use sharp cheddar but you can go milder, if you like. For the recipe above, I used both a sharp cheddar and a white extra-sharp cheddar.

Tuna or cooked, iced chicken adds some extra taste and protein to the dish.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: