Monday, November 14, 2011

No rain . . . yet!

The promise of rain didn't come through for yesterday but one can't complain about the pretty early morning skies of today! Not rain clouds but a beautiful picture of God's Hand at work! Our pastor gave a sermon, last week, about how we have to remember to thank God for everything and see the beauty in it. This view was an easy one for remember to give thanks.

Going to be busy this morning. After morning Mass, I'm baking a birthday cake for a dear friend. My husband is doing his pre-Thanksgiving run with the turkey meaning that we purchased a small turkey on sale and he wants to try out a roasting technique in anticipation of how he will actually prepare the big one for the actual day of Thanksgiving. I'm in charge of stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberries. My son is just happy to have this happy prelude to Thanksgiving and get an early taste of turkey!

Some people dread the holiday because they think it is so much work. To me, it is really one of the easier meals to prepare. The turkey goes into the oven early and needs little attention which frees one up to work on the side dishes. I bake the pies the day before so don't usually stress out about the holiday too much. I do make lists and check things off but that is just me. Perhaps, that is what reduces my stress!

Going to come up with some cookie recipes this week. I dug up some ancient cookbooks from my mother and have been happily rediscovering some favorite recipes she and I used to make together for Christmas. Sometimes, I have to stand back, mentally, and wonder at how fast time has gone by. My parents are no longer with us, my children are grown up, and I'm not the sweet, young thing I used to be! :-)

Every December, I sit down with the current calendar and transfer birthday dates and such to the calendar for the new year. That is always a wake up call to how quickly time goes by and changes life. Some birthdays are no posted as the day we lost someone to this earth, other people have gone out of our lives for one reason or the other so I don't post them on the calendar, new people come into play . . . Life keeps evolving . . .
Posted by Picasa

No comments: