Monday, November 14, 2011

Morning Mass ain't what it used to be . . .

I am a reasonable person and if I want certain things in a Mass, I know have a choice between attending a Latin Mass or a Novos Ordo Mass. I do assume that whatever Mass I choose, the Rubrics and Canon Law will be observed and obeyed.

This morning, the celebrant's sermon was one of those "I'll ask questions and make everyone feel uncomfortable as I wait for them to come up with answers." I don't go to instruct myself but to learn. I also do not like a politically 'correct' subject to be inserted into the sermon, either.

At the Sign of Peace, in opposition to rubrics/GIRM rules for Mass, the priest wandered off the altar to shake hands hither and yon. I know he wouldn't have become a priest if he didn't believe in the Blessed Sacrament so why does he turn his back on our Lord on the altar like that?

There were under 30 people in attendance at Mass yet this very young priest informed one of the Extraordinary Ministers that he would require help in distributing Communion at every Mass he celebrates. Not only is this a liturgical abuse, he gives the impression that he isn't ready to make sacrifices, if you can call it that, for the job he has undertaken.

Just before Communion, he threw in a few, unscheduled prayer petitions before resuming the set words for the Mass.

After Mass, one of the Extraordinary Ministers said the bishop informed a large training/meeting of Extraordinary Ministers that it is the priest's option whether he wants to purify the altar vessels after Communion or not. According to Pope Benedict, there is no such option or permission. The American Bishops specifically asked the Pope and the Pope specifically said, "No!" Yet many bishops are doing it in opposition to the word from Rome.

I won't stop attending Mass because of human disrespect or error but I will keep to my corner of the church and pray. One of the Extraordinary Ministers said, "Well, when in Rome, do as the Romans, right?" I replied, "So? Obey the 'Romans' but not the Pope?"

Are these people who do know better yet follow without question the stuff of martyrs?

No comments: