Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Carrots and Justifiable Anger - Dinner Time 'Discussions' . . .

Our budget is such that getting ten pounds of carrots for under three dollars makes them a fixture on my  shopping list. Unfortunately, my children never sympathized with me on this aspect of saving money. I have had several unsuccessful attempts in disguising carrots at mealtimes. Children have radar when it comes to sensing a carrot in their vicinity. I am sharing my failures with you so you can avoid the same dinner-time pitfalls.

1. I tried passing off steamed carrots as hot dogs, but it just didn’t work. Relish and ketchup aren’t applied now until the children test the contents of the bun on both the dog and cat.

2. I decided to try something trendy. I told them it was orange sherbert but the unsuccessfully pureed carrot bumps cued them in.

3. Mixed mashed carrots into their liver and they still wouldn’t eat it!

4. Told them it was actually hashed, orange rutabagas, not carrots. They threatened to call 911.

5. Painted red stripes on carrots and put them into their Christmas stockings. Told them Santa left the candy canes.

6. Tried honesty . . . told them carrots taste like chicken.

7. Found a recipe for ground carrots and cottage cheese that was suppose to fry up ‘just like a hamburger patty’. My children’s first question was, "Mom, why are you frying cottage cheese and carrots?"

8. Told them they couldn’t have dessert unless they ate all their carrots at dinner. Almost had a mutiny when they discovered dessert was Carrot Cake.

9. Told them they weren’t carrots but odd-colored zucchini. Actually refused to believe me!

10. Chopped up the carrots into cubes and told them it was tofu in their stir fry.

No comments: