Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Applesauce Reminder . . .

I went bargain hunting at the local grocery store. I watch for sales and then stock up to be ahead when the prices spiral up the next time I go. Apples were on sale for as low as 77 cents a pound today. It reminded me of pork roast dinners with homemade applesauce! When I was growing up, my mother always served applesauce with the pork but it was the applesauce out of the can. The first time I made my own applesauce, it lacked something . . . that tinny taste. I didn't miss it and have been making my own ever since. At one point in my culinary endeavors, I would make and can my own applesauce. I would happily view my dozen or so jars of my work with thoughts of how I could preserve the abundance of Fall apples throughout the winter and a bit into the New Year. That's when I heard the snap  of my newly sealed jars and came upon my four children, each with fresh jar and spoon in hand, happily munching away. I've learned to make it for the meal I need it now!

Applesauce

8-10 apples but include one or two of the tart variety in your choice
1/2 cup water
Juice and zest of one lemon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Peel, core, and dice the apples. If you like it chunkier, make the pieces bigger. Combine all the ingredients in a roomy cooking pot. Bring the mixture to almost a boil and then turn it down to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Remember to stir and keep an eye on the liquid. You might need to add a bit more water if it dries out too much. When the apples have started to break down a bit and are tender, turn off the heat and let it cool down before putting it away in the refrigerator. It makes 3-4 cups depending on the size of the apples you used.

No comments: