Sunday, October 30, 2011

And along came Sunday, again . . . with thanks to God!

A Sunday Fun meal . . .

I have had a bread dough starter working away for the last two day and plan to bake bread for this evening's dinner. I'm making panini sandwiches with cream of celery soup for dinner. Not exactly your typical Sunday dinner but, sometimes, making what the menfolk crave goes a lot further in the happiness department. The store even contributed to the idea with having a package of Italian deli meats on sale. How could I not read all these 'signs'? Along with that, I'm making cream of celery soup which is a great favorite of my teenage son.

I found some white wheat kernals at the health store so will grind some of that for the bread. I also simmered a cup of wheat berry grain, yesterday, and will roughly grind that up and add to the dough for some extra nutrient value and crunch.

No sewing in my day. I am anxious to continue work on my project I featured in an earlier posting but can't say I minded spending the time with my husband as we ventured to a few stores to browse, spend time together, and shop. Since he started a 4/10 workweek, it's been a quick goodbye as he heads to work and we drive over for daily Mass.

I like doing a starter for making breads. It gives the bread a bit of a tang and it rises up better. For anyone who hasn't tried/heard of this, it is simple. You place 2 teaspoons of yeast, a cup of flour, and a cup or so of barely warm water in a big mixing bowl. The stuff will bubble up! Stir it thoroughly, cover with sarah, and set aside until the next day. When you want to bake your bread, dump this in the mixing bowl with the flour, salt, and enough water to make a workable dough. Gets you in the old pioneer spirit!

I also heard that if you soak some barbecue wood chips in water and then put them in a pan of hot water in the bottom of your stove while you bake the bread, it will give it that really earthy, old-time flavor. Just remember, the wood chips and the bread are far, far apart in the oven! You don't want wood chips in your bread! :-) Which reminds me, I have to go soak some wood chips and get my bread dough on the rise.

No comments: