Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sacrificial Baking . . .

With a deep sigh, I've realized that my fresh lemon source is depleted for a few months. The neighbor's overhanging branches are finished with their crop for the season and my lemon tree still sports hard, green lemons. I will have to bite the proverbial bullet and purchase a lemon or two from the store this week. In a fair world, there would be a third lemon tree type that would fill in the harvest blank!

I do have a source of 'fresh' lemon juice, however. I read, during the bountiful lemon time earlier this year, that you can wash and freeze whole lemons. When you need juice, let them defrost and then squeeze out the juice. The peel and zest is useless because of the time in the freezer but the juice is good. Also, you get a lot of juice as freezing seems to break the 'juice cells' and it give it more freely.

I actually baked an apple/pear crisp without benefit of lemon the other day. Soaking the fruit in some brandy and vanilla went a long way on compensating for the lack of lemon. I was pleased with myself for going ahead and making a dessert even if it wasn't 'perfect' in the way I wanted to make it. I'm learning to live out of the cupboard before payday and not be too annoyed about it!

Fortunately, the lemon and orange tree will be available for cooking/baking needs by Thanksgiving so I'm not complaining . . . too much.

A quiet week, next week. The bishop in our diocese has a meeting with all the priests at some comfortable location so there will be no morning Masses for three days. Also, if you need a priest, that could be tricky and complicated, too. We fondly refer to this annual event as 'the three days of darkness'. The bishop, however, does not!

My altarboy son is happy for almost a week of late mornings and time off from serving. By the time this all ends, we are always happy to get back into our morning Mass routine. It seems a peaceful way to face the rest of the day.

No comments: