Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Still stuck in the quilting mode . . .

I'm certainly blessed because I have now had three days of sewing. The first two, as previously noted, we had air conditioning company men running around the house. The only quiet corner they didn't need to get into was my sewing corner in the kitchen. Today, I'm relatively free because I made a huge pot of beef barley soup for dinner on Monday and had enough left over to supply another meal this evening. All I have to do is stop sewing around four, heat up the soup, and I'm done 'cooking' dinner.

I'm taking a break from a quilt top I've been working on for the last few weeks. I have another border to sew on each of the twelve squares and I ready to get the quilting aspect going . . . however, I saw an idea for yet another quilt when I walked past the magazine stand at the store this morning. And, yes, I didn't stop to look at the rest of the magazine. Nope, just kept walking while I imprinted the picture on the cover in my memory for later implementation! Sorry, I don't know of any ten-step programs to ban quilting from my life. If there is one, please don't tell me about it!

The new air conditioning system is great although we keep it set at 81 degrees. So far, it uses the same amount of energy as our two, portable coolers did so we may be able to stop sweating quite so profusely from now on. A great feature on this thing is that it comes with a remote control that you can leave in another part of the house. We have it in the kitchen so if I know I'm going to be heating things up with the stove, I can adjust the base temperature without leaving the stove. The really, really great feature? It come with a 'finder' meaning that if we misplace the remote control (like that is going to happen, right? And whoever is laughing can stop right now!), we just go to the wall unit, press a button, and the remote buzzes until we locate it.

Progress is happening so quickly on all these kinds of gadgets. I often think about my mother whose goal in life was remembering where her keys had been left. She has long since gone to her reward but I wonder how she would have gotten her head around phones so small they fit into your pocket, instant information on the computer, e-mail . . . I wonder how much of the present day 'miracles' will be old by the time my children are parents.

No comments: