Saturday, August 13, 2011

Heavenly Inspiration . . .

As usual, my pattern choice for a quilt is a scrap quilt. Although I enjoy using up my bits and pieces of fabric, my scrap quilts usually have some formation/pattern to them. The one I'm working on now consists of 8x8-inch squares. Twelve of the squares have straight bars of random fabric. Another twelve have the bars going at a slant. The third set will be basic fabric with a circle of various fabrics. I was stuck for the fourth set as it seemed I had used all the inspiration in the first three sets. I put it aside, put away my ironing board, and went to daily Mass.

I was looking straight ahead at Mass, doing my best to avoid distractions when a latecomer crept into a pew a few pews ahead of me. Her shirt was interesting and bold and, yes, it distracted me. It was black and white with squares of pattern with wavey strips for the design. No rhyme or reason, just these various ripples. Then it hit me that my fourth set would be colorful fabrics sewn down in a ripple effect with, as the noticed shirt, no rhyme or reason, just random waves and ripples.

I managed to behave my thoughts the rest of Mass but the quilt pattern was tickling the back of my brain. As soon as I got home, the ironing board was retrived, the sewing machine turned on, and the boxes of scraps scattered over the table. I got seven of the twelve 8x8-inch squares pieced and am happy with six of them. It was the exact completion I needed for my envision scrap quilt. Sigh . . . Unfortunately, as soon as I finishe my mail and blogging for the day, I have to take my daughter for her back-to-college haircut. Gosh, I sacrifice so much for my art, don't I? :-)

No comments: