Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer, summer, summer . . .

 

This is the look I got from our dog, yesterday. She objected very much to the heat and felt that the entire day should have been spent inside. Although we did let her reside on the somewhat cooler floor by the backdoor, we did usher her out every few hours to take care of personal matters lest she have a mishap. Most of her outdoor time was spent peering in the windows she could reach and whining. I think it was dog talk for, "Let me back in NOW! It is hot out here!"

It was hot, yesterday. The first day of summer and it hit the triple digits. It was 'only' 100 degrees in our area but a few miles away, it was said to have reached over 103 degrees. It was a cool 85-plus IN our house in spite of the hard work of our fans. Our central air conditioning is useless and costs more than it is worth to run in the summer so we have been doing without it the last few years. Yeah, I know, not the part of the world to do without it.

We are just hoping and praying that people realize the fire danger with the added heat and set off their fireworks responsibly. Interesting but about a mile up the road, the city is considered unincorporated and they have a ban on fireworks. Wish our city government would do that here, too.

Trying the two recipes I posted yesterday for the weekend. The peanut butter dessert sounds good and I'm thinking about layering it with some kind of chocolate pudding/parfait. The Chocolate Pots de Creme sound even better. Hey, it's a holiday weekend, right? Calories don't count on holiday weekend . . . right?

Speaking of holidays, I was cleaning out the freezer and found two tins I had packed away full of my Christmas baking. I had put them together for some friends who suddenly decided we were no longer friends without a word or whisper. Their loss! Anyway, my son opened up the tin of cookies and I had packed them so well, they were still in perfect shape and we are now enjoying a late Christmas treat! Fourth of July and Christmas on the same day?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: