Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gooey Butter Cake . . .


I've heard of Gooey Butter Cakes over the years but never felt an inclination to make one. First of all, most recipes start off with a boxed cake mix and then add more sugar. It just sounded too sweet for me. Yes, I like sweets but not overdone. I discovered this recipe on-line over the weekend. The blogger seemed to have the same feelings about too much sugar and came up with her own version. I was intrigued and decided I was finally going to try it and see what all the fuss has been about. I made it for a luncheon party, yesterday, and there are only a couple of pieces left. I think it was good!
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/st-louis-gooey-butter-cake/

I did take some liberties with the recipe, however. After I put down the cake layer, I spread two peeled, cored, diced apples over it before adding the topping. I sprinkles the apples with a little cinnamon, brandy, and just a pinch of sugar. The topping baked down into the cake taking the apples to new heights of deliciousness. Easy recipe and it looks like more work than it actually turned out to be.

No comments: