Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pentecost Sunday . . . so where was the Holy Spirit today?

I like Pentecost Sunday because of the beautiful hymns that are possible for the celebration of this special Mass. Sigh . . . It didn't happen at our Mass, unfortunately. So often, if you show a desire to observe the Church Rubrics as they are written, you are called Liturgy Police. Seems to me that we might have some Liturgy Police to see that what should be done is done in respect to proper music for Church feast days . . . Like Pentecost Sunday.

I guess that in the hustle and bustle to include everyone in some kind of capacity at Mass, the real reasons for the Mass get lost in the shuffle. In my humble opinion, it wouldn't hurt for choir directors to attend a liturgy class in order to give glory to the occasion with hymns that pertain to the occasion.

"Come, Holy Ghost . . . Creator blest . . ." would have been nice this morning. As we were leaving the parking lot, after Mass, I heard the choir for the next Mass beginning with that hymn and verged of jealousy.

A lot of the music used in Mass these days is kind of flat compared to hymns from the 'olden days'. I'm not saying they are bad hymns just  ones that would probably sound better at a teen retreat or around a camp fire at a Catholic camp.

2 comments:

Charmaigne Beverly Ekaterina said...

I understand how you feel. I'm not crazy about the song selections at our church, either. :-/ I especially don't like it when I have to play hymns like "Amazing Grace" when our conservative pastor is the one celebrating the mass. :-P

Barbara Maria said...

Guess God wants us to work off come Purgatory time! I like Amazing Grace . . . outside of church! No matter what, you and your sister do splendidly and prevent some of those songs from being truly awful. :-)