Monday, June 13, 2011

Got my work cut out for me . . . pun intended?

I have to wonder why I'm always so thrilled to get a trip to the fabric warehouse because what I'm bringing home is work!

It is getting a bit depressing, however, with any kind of shopping as the prices keep going up, up, and up. Many thanks to all our wonderful politcal hacks who think more taxes and supression of free enterprise is the way to grow a country. I've been watching the weekly increase in the price of groceries and the fabric warehouse reflects much of the same. Fabric that was going for $1.69 a yard a couple of months ago is now marked up to $2.49 a yard. A $3.99 a yard fabric used to be an indulgence and is now the cheaper one.

My husband's thought on the subject of buying fabric was to get what I needed, treat myself to something unique, and realize that what I pass up this time might be even more expensive at a later date. Deep, sigh . . .

I did have a good day especially finding a bargain length of fabric that I really like. I had gotten some of it a few months ago and was happy to find a bit more of the same. I divided my attentions between the dinner preparations and organizing my fabric stash. My husband's rule is that I can buy what I want (within reason, of course!) but it has to fit in one of my three cupboards and the doors have to close. I didn't get my organizing done before dinner and joked with my husband. I called him in and bragged that all the cupboard doors were nicely closed . . . and then he saw the three stacks of fabric that I hadn't managed to incorporate into the stash sitting on my sewing table. I will either have to sew a lot of quilts between now and his return from work tomorrow or  get them all a home . . . behind closed cupboard doors!

Lots of handsewing on two quilts I'm making for Christmas gifts and am trying to make myself get them done before I cut into the new fabric. Whenever I bring home new fabric, I usually reorganize my stacks because it reminds me of what I actually have, inspires me when I see fabrics side by side, and gets the creases and kinks out of the already-resident fabric and airs things out.

I did sell six prayer pouches on Sunday so I worked off a bit of my bill today!

No comments: