Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day accomplished . . .

 
Proof of Father's Day Dinner accomplished. The picture is actually a plate of leftovers which my husband requested for his lunch at work tomorrow. Now, that's a compliment! Oh, what IS it? Meatloaf, grilled mushrooms, yellow squash, green peas, and mashed potatoes with gravy.

My 'secret' to coming up with gravy is to save the drippings, sauces, braised meat juices from previous meals. I freeze them in small containers and then use them for making gravy. I had some beef gravy left from stew last week. I thinned it down with some wine, checked the seasoning, and then pureed it with a grilled mushroom or two, and a small slice of the meatloaf to incorporate the flavors. My blender is pretty good at getting ingredients really smoothed out.

Hope everyone else was able to give their husbands/fathers a wonderful day. Please feel free to share your special recipes of the day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: