Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The worst part done . . .

Vacation prepartions continue but I got the worst part of the trip done, yesterday . . . getting the travelers' checks! For once, there wasn't a line at the bank but there sure was one behind us by the time we finished with the transaction. I know it is all for security purposes but there is a lot of paperwork involved for the bank. Just when you think you've got it done, comes signing all the travelers' checks in front of the bank teller. I did learn from my traveling days, years ago, that one does not want to get the checks in increments of $10. If you change money, you usually want more than $10 of the local currency so why sign off on five checks when you could do it with one signature on a $50 check?

Anyway, aside from closing the suitcases the night before we take off, things are pretty much done now. It is still unbelieveable that this trip is actually going to happen. I happily put away my traveling shoes when I got married but can't believe how I'm looking forward to seeing foreign climes, again.

Before I got married, I worked for eleven months out of a year and then took the 12th month off to travel. This will be the eleventh time I've been overseas and I'm thinking it is going be almost a fresh view as I'm going with my 17 year old son who has never been outside the country.

No comments: