Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cooking because I'm blessed . . .

I cook for my family every night. We enjoy a meal out, once in awhile, but we always prefer to eat at home. Whether it is just my husband and myself or the addition of any or all my children, I cook the main meal every day. I don't do it to show off or because it is my main 'hobby'. I do it because I'm blessed to have a family and because I take it as a responsibility to raise them and keep them in the best health I can through nutrition.

Sure, my children love a soft drink or greasy fast food and we do let them have this treat. I would, however, be remiss in my God-given blessing if I let the majority of their food intake be junk food. Until your children leave home, you ARE responsible for everything they eat at your table. Putting a fast food bag of burgers and fries in front of them is not doing your job.

We had a relative visiting, years ago, and as he enjoyed the meal, he remarked that he KNOWS we don't eat like this every day. My husband looked confused and the relative was very abusive in denying for us that we do not have a good meal every day. He had a stay-home wife who didn't cook and couldn't believe that I did do my job.

My favorite 'insult' comes from other mothers who say I just cook because I like to and that I'm good at it because I had an inborn talent. Uh, I think my mother would have mentioned it to me if I had been born with a mixing spoon in my hand.

I was a latch-key kid and homecooked meals were sparse. I just didn't want to do that to my children. I was an adequate cook when I got married. The more time I spent working around dietary requirements, allergies, and such, the more I became interested in how food went together. I am blessed with a supportive husband who knows he won't get into trouble if he gives me a super mixer or some unique kitchen utensil for a gift.

Yes, I love to cook and bake because I take it as a wholesome, creative enterpise for my family. No, it didn't come easily and I continually learn new things. I like to be in the kitchen and present a nice meal because it is part of my responsibilty and job to my family. I decided to like the process rather than complain about it because I early on realized that it is a blessing from God and I wanted to honor it.

No comments: