Sunday, May 1, 2011

Abraham Lincoln in person!

We were blessed to attend a performance by an Abraham Lincoln presenter, yesterday. My husand and I had met 'Mr. Lincoln' quite by accident back in Februrary and I encouraged my husband to see if he could get him for an event at his library. I invited two, good friends as well as their children to come along and I brought my seventeen year old son who is a history buff.

Since my husband and I had already spend almost two hours with 'Mr. Lincoln' at our impromptu meeting, I didn't expect to be double enthralled, again, with his presentation . . . but I was and his lengthy presentation seemed like mere minutes.

I think 'Mr. Lincoln's' secret is that the presenter has so many of the same values and traits as the historical President Lincoln. The fact that he is practically the image of that great president just add to the whole meeting.

The presenter does his whole performance in the first person as Abraham Lincoln, himself. He didn't seem to so much 'act' but 'live' that time in history. And, his knowledge of past and present day politics made the talk very enlightening. His emphasis was on the young people and how they CAN be anything they want to be if they use the learning opportunities that life sends their way. The real President Lincoln loved children and so does this presenter. He visibly brighted up every time a young person asked a question and treated them all with respect and dignity.

Later, he was holding court outside the assembly room at the library. A little girl came down the hall, stopped dead when she saw ABRAHAM LINCOLN in the flesh, so to speak. He stopped talking to the adult at hand and immediately said, "Well, hello, young lady? How are you today?" She grinned from ear to ear and replied, "HI! Mr. Lincoln!" He immediately asked if she like to read books, liked coming to the library, etc. He was an expert at mixing entertainment with the important aspects of life.

No comments: