Friday, April 22, 2011

Sewing? What sewing?

Yes, with children coming home from college and Holy Week, etc., my quilting time hasn't happened this week. I've learned to not become frustrated because God knows how my time should be filled and I'm getting used to rolling with the order of the day as it happens. I do walk past my sewing table and finger the unfinished quilt pieces and think about how they will really look once they are put together and I can see how my imagination has come into physical being.

My bolt of quilt batting, the stuff that fills a quilt, arrived. I like it when the fabric store offers 50% off coupons and I immediately go for 40 yards of the stuff at this drastic reduction. Few stores make much of a profit off my money, that's for sure!

I have two quilts in the piecing and sewing stage right now. One is a very, very scrappy quilt. I'm trying to reduce my collection of scraps drastically and this one surely incorporates a lot of them. It's almost like a 'free' quilt as no lengths of new fabric were harmed in the making of this quilt! The other one is partially a scrap quilt and rather subdued which is a departure from my usual choice of colors.

Over my quilting years, I've found that people seem to go for the scrap quilts more than my carefully orchestrated ones. I think they like the homey feel of an old-fashioned quilt. I made an elaborate scrap quilt a few years ago using leftovers for both the top and back of the quilt. I left it on the sofa and before I knew it, my younger son had laid claim to it and we can often find him settling under it to watch television or read a book. I didn't have to worry about finding that quilt a home!

No comments: