Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cutting back on sugar . . .

Although I do not feel that sugar is an evil in our lives, I do try to keep it a very moderate component in our diets. We don't ban it, we just keep reasonable. However, when I make a treat, I don't substitute.

During the various seasons when there is a surplus of favorite fruits, a Sunday evening dessert is ofen a fruit crisp - you know, the prepared fruit in a baking pan covered with a crumble crust? I just read that you can use half the sugar called for in the recipe and add a teaspoon of baking soda in it's place and still get sweet results. It seems that baking soda neutralizes some acid thus enhancing the sweet taste. I'm all for cutting back and plan to try this with my next apple crisp.

Thought I'd pass that seemingly useful tip along.

No comments: