Monday, March 21, 2011

To clarify . . .

Lest anyone think I believed that Catholics are not helping in Japan, that was not my intent. My musing was over the fact that our diocese took so long to initiate something and our parish didn't even put the recent disaster into the prayer petitions at Mass. I wasn't the only one concerned and we were all happy to see a special collection happen and it's been noted in the prayer petitions finally.

Some people I spoke with at our parish figured that since Japan was an Asian country and a weathly one, what would they want with our help. That shocked me, too, as this is a country in dire straits with problems coming from possible nuclear fallout, flood damage, and ongoing earthquake jolts. A need is a need no matter who has the problems and they should never be neglected.

I did hear on the news that the Red Cross over here was informed that the Japanese are grateful for the help and thankfully accept it.

I just wish our own diocese had been quicker and more vocal about the whole matter as disasters fade in the minds of people so quickly. When Chile has their earthquake, it was immediately noted the following Sunday with prayers and a collection.

No comments: