Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Leftovers taste better!

It is interesting how some meals taste even better as leftovers. We had a roast beef on Sunday but are looking forward to the second round today when I simmer the slices of meat long and slow in homemade gravy. Another thing we like with such a meal is homemade noodles. I used to watch my mother make them and she took the whole process very seriously to the point that we didn't have them very often because it stressed her out! She would make her dough very stiff and it was a struggle to roll it out thin enough to slice into noodles.

Over the years, I have found that you can deal with a much more tender dough and still get the same results with a lot less angst! There is such a nice 'bite' to a homemade noodle that it makes the leftover meat and gravy seem like a new creation for the dinner table. I think I lot of people steer clear of even attempting noodle making out of a fear of failure. I'm here to tell you that it is hard to ruin them!

All you need is about three cups all-purpose flour and enough eggs to form a workable dough. It really depends on the weather and how dry it is to how many eggs are needed. So, that's it; eggs and flour! You make your dough, roll it out, cut it into strips and set them out on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper to dry a bit. When you are ready to cook them, get a big pot of water boiling with about a tablespoon of salt. You can add a dash of oil to prevent any possible sticking. Drop in your beautiful noodles, cook for about five minutes or possibly less - check on it, drain and serve.

You can roll them out super thin or have them thicker. They aren't like packaged noodles, at all. Very homey.

What I like about this recipe that even in budget-tight times, we usually have flour and eggs on hand. Also, you can deep fry the noodles for a crispy snack with either salt and spices sprinkles on or cinnamon and sugar.

I just had my oatmeal for breakfast and am already making myself hungry!

No comments: