Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wheat problems? Would never have thought this . . .

I was browsing the books at our local Costco Store and one in particular caught my attention - The Wheat Belly Diet! Naturally, I had to pick it up and see what in the world it was all about. Seems that over the years, the wheat crop has gone through a lot of evolution with crossbreeding and such and the wheat we have today isn't anything like the wheat that was grown even fifty years ago. Many people attribute a lot of the health problems to the consumption of wheat.

Now, most diets tell us to incorporate more grains into our diet for reasons of health but I read in this book that wheat products actually increase the surge of insulin in our systems and cause us to experience hunger  sooner than later. This is why the book refers to the 'wheat belly' because even with what is considered a healthy diet, today, wheat will still put on weight where we want it the least . . . in the stomach area.

Although I am not totally sold on the concept, it did make some sense to, perhaps, cut back on wheat products. Just a check of the products at the grocery store revealed that wheat byproducts show up in foods you wouldn't consider in need of wheat.

The book had a lot of interesting recipes and they weren't weird or odd, they just left out wheat. In fact, many of them incorporated a lot more good stuff which makes sense in any diet. Many times, I've checked into 'healthy eating' recipes and books and it usually starts with spending money on a lot of speciality items or appliances to make it all 'work'. These recipes were pretty common sense. My only hurdle is the family but I'm thinking that if I add one, new item to our usual diets, it may become a regular part of our diets. I was also amazed in that it didn't substitute this, that, and the other with soy products. In fact, I didn't note any use of soy in the recipes.

So, there is a very minor New Year's Resolution for my kitchen . . . trying to incorporate better, healthier food into our meals without scaring the family off and into the arms of the nearest fast food establishment.

No comments: