Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Thinking of Christmas Baking in September . . .

Yes, I'm thinking about what cookies and treats I would like to make for the holidays when it is only the first week of September. If you stop to think about it, the last four months of the year always fly by and you find yourself in January before you know it.

As I put together my lists of wants and wishes for my Christmas baking, I thought I'd share them with you. This year, I am going through my recipes literally starting from A and see where it all goes from there. These cookies add a festive flair to cookie plates with their bright, white coating of powdered sugar.

Buttery Almond Balls
1 cup butter - no substitutes!
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1 cup toasted almonds, very finely chopped*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the flavorings and orange zest and continue until mixture is fluffy. With a wooden spoon, blend in the flour and almonds.

Form the dough into small balls and place 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes depending on size of the cookies. They should be golden on the bottom and lightly colored on top.

Let rest for a few minutes before removing them from the baking sheet as they are more fragile warm. Roll in powdered sugar and complete cooling on a rack.

*To toast nuts, spread them out on an ungreased baking sheet and put in a 350 degree oven. Depending on the nut, they can burn if not monitored. When they start to scent the air, check and see if they have the toasty flavor you want. Cool before using. I toast my almonds unblanched.

Ideas . . .
Half the nuts and use the tiny chocolate chips in the dough.
Toasted, ground walnuts are a nice change.
Use ground peanuts and coat the baked and cooled cookies in melted chocolate.
Reduce the nuts by 1/4 cup and add finely chopped, candied fruit in its place.

No comments: