Monday, September 3, 2012

Sweet Tomato Cake revisited!

Last week, I posted a link for a recipe for Sweet Tomato Cake which I found to be very interesting. Since we have had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year, I am always on the lookout for new recipes. Yesterday, I actually make the cake! I made a few changes to the recipe and doubled it so I could share it with a neighbor . . . if it turned out . . . and it did!

The recipe called for all whole wheat flour and I went half and half with all-purpose flour. I also added some lemon zest, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to the batter. The cake isn't very tall but tender and tasty. The tomatoes add an interesting tang. It doesn't taste of tomatoes but give the cake a nice moistness. It is rich with the olive oil but a small slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream goes down very well.

The recipe only took a cup of tomatoes so the rest of the day's harvest went into a long-simmered pot of sauce which graced our spaghetti last night. My children would eat spaghetti every day of the week if I could stand it so they thought dinner was a great ending to a Sunday.

No comments: