Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tomato harvesting . . . and it's just the beginning!

 
Posted by PicasaAttack of the Killer Tomatoes . . . or just the labor of the last few months making itself know? My husband's tomato plants have gone wild as well as his eggplant cucumber. I gave up trying to eat more than my share of tomatoes and spent the afternoon skinning and freezing packages of tomatoes for use later in the year. This year, I remembered to freeze the Roma Tomatoes separately as they make a wonderful sauce and have few seeds.

Although I kind of dreaded the work, it really isn't that bad. My trick, learned from my mother, is to dump the washed tomatoes into a pot of boiling water and almost immediately plunge them into a bowl of icy water. The sudden change bursts a crack in the skins and it is but a pull on the skin and it comes off in seconds.

I managed to put away two bags of regular tomatoes and one of the Romas in the freezer. Another trick that has worked out well for me . . . Put the tomatoes into a zip lock type bag and lay it flat to freeze. Makes it so much easier to stack them up rather than having bumpy, frozen bag crowding the freezer.

Tomorrow, I tackle the eggplant. Anyone have a good recipe? :-)

No comments: