Sunday, March 18, 2012

Probably not your mother's cole slaw salad . . .

I was making the main course for dinner this evening and a salad was suggested to go with it. I read the recipe and didn't like it. It sounded too sour and bitter for my taste, however, I did have the main components on hand and decided to try my own version. Obviously my family liked it otherwise I wouldn't be sharing it right now.

Not Your Mother's Cole Slaw
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
1 tart apple, diced - no need to peel
1 green onion or scallion, thinly sliced
Juice and zest of one lime

Place the ingredients in a bowl, mix, and set aside.
1 head of green cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
1 tablespoon, diced pickled jalapeno pepper

Place ingredients in a heat-proof bowl.
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Place the vinegar, sugar, and mustard in a small pot, mix, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the cabbage/carrot/jalapeno pepper mixture and combine well. Add the mango, apple, and green onion mixture to the bowl. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. Let sit at room temperature for serving. Leftovers should be refrigerated.

*If you find the salad too tart, you can drizzle a bit of honey into it and mix.

2 comments:

alan said...

very nice blog
Sounds like a great recipe it is definitely different what kind of background to this recipe comes from? I will try it. Best wishes,

Barbara Maria said...

I ran across the recipe for a Salvadoran Curtido Slaw which looked interesting but the comments said it was too sour. I liked the idea of the warm dressing soak but decided to go with a much smaller amount of vinegar and the brown sugar with the Dijon. I used a lot more mango, too. The addition of the pickled jalapeno peppers instead of fresh made the difference for me. The recipe lends itself to a lot of variations.