Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Off to deep fry something . . .

What better way to celebrate Fat Tuesday than with deep frying something! I'm making the Schneeballen recipe I posted earlier. I had forgotten about these treat until I browsed the German site with holiday recipes. They even featured a picture of the bakery we saw while we were in Rothenburg! My son was excited about the prospect of trying to replicate the recipe today.

Our guide in Rothenburg told us about Schneeballen but was rather dismissive of them as the town did offer a multitude of tasty and unusual pastries. He said Schneeballen evolved from bakers using leftover pastry dough. We thoroughly enjoyed our sample and only wished we had purchased a few more for our breakfast the next day. Well, today, I will see what I can duplicate and, perhaps, it will bring back some vacation memories!

My son is always careful about how much he eats and if we were looking at bakeries after he had just eaten, he never wanted to buy anything. After awhile, I would just purchase a bag of goodies and he always seemed to be glad of it when we got back to the hotel and he was hungry again! Towards the end of our trip, he got the idea and would say, "Buy some for later, Mom!"

No comments: