Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Get your ashes . . .

I suppose that in this hurried world of ours that this was bound to happen but it does seem rather funny. Too many people think that you have to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday or it may prove unluckly. Other people think of it more as a holy day of obligation. Some always show up for the 'freebies' like palms on Palm Sunday, ashes on Ash Wednesday even if they avoid the church every other day of the year. Fast food religion?

I remember one Ash Wednesday at our parish. My then-toddler had fallen asleep on my shoulder. The church was packed and just as it was my turn to receive ashes, a whole troupe of people poured in the side door and pushed in front of the line. I now had 20-30 people forcing their way to the front. I got my ashes and was happy to head back to my pew as the baby was heavy. Eight of the late comers had taken over my pew. As I walked up, they grinned meanly, and handed me my Rosary, prayerbook, and diaper bag. I was shocked that they bothered to get ashes when they were starting off their Lent in such a mean-spirited way!


An Ohio church is offering a drive-thru Ash Wednesday blessing for parishioners who might be pressed for time.

The Rev. Patricia Anderson Cook of Mt. Healthy United Methodist Church in suburban Cincinnati plans to provide the service for people of all faiths and services beginning around 5 p.m.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Christian season of Lent, which concludes after 40 days with the celebration of Easter.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (http://cin.ci/wErYFp) that the service is aimed at busy people as well as people who might be intimidated walking into a church.

In addition to ashes, Cook will provide a church brochure and a Lenten booklet.
The church is also offering a more traditional Ash Wednesday service inside at 7 p.m.

No comments: