Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fast way to Chicken Pot Pies . . .

My daughter told me about her college method of making pot pies. She and her roommate had a weekly dinner party so everyone could get a break from the awful cafeteria food so they always tried to come up with something different and tasty. Pot pies turned out to be very popular. The way she and her friend cooked for a crowd? They used the crescent rolls you can find in the refrigerated section of the market. You know the kind that come in a tube? Well, they would press a unbaked roll in each place of a muffin tin with enough to wrap up over the filling. I was amazed at what an easy solution and already started thinking about how I was going to do it in the future.

The chicken filling can be easy, too. Use an undiluted can of chicken soup with some additional chicken and vegetables. I use frozen one as they will cook through.

You can do the same thing with the refrigerator cookie dough and make  pies. Again, just press the cookie dough into the muffin tin, add some canned apple pie filling, and bake.

Naturally, if you are not in a hurry, you can use your favorite cookie or pie crust fillings to accomplish the individual pies.

For this evening, however (the reason the topic came up!), I made a chicken pot pie in a large, oblong baking pan. I don't think I will get any complaints!

No comments: