Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Cat Saga Continues . . .

We are still trying to befriend the three, stray cats that come to our door regularly for a hand out. They don't mind coming into the house a bit or eating any food we put out but petting them is still against their personal agenda. Sure, we 'grab' a pat on their head or stroke their back but they object most firmly, jump back in indignation, shake themselves, and then go back for the food.

The other morning, I was late in putting out some kibble for them and I had a demanding trio on the doorstep. I opened the door and they all streamed in and raced into three areas of the house as if that would hurry up my feeding chores. I finally got bowls of food set out on the step for them and they exited for breakfast. As I was closing the door, I saw that Stubby was still in the middle of the living room. He is a fluff ball of gray and white fur with huge yellow eyes. The eyes grew even bigger as he realized that his wayout was blocked by the big person in charge of the kibble bag. He seemed to all but throw up his front paws in shock as he dithered about what he could do to cure the situation. I stepped back and he crouched down and scuttled out quickly. I quietly closed the door and heard the cat munching increase to the usual three-fold!

Stubby got his name because he seemed to feel that if he crouched as low as he could while skittering along the sidewalk, we might not notice him. It was a few days before we saw that he was entirely normal, physically, if not a bit paranoid about the world around him.

No comments: