Friday, January 27, 2012

Mother Angelica's Miscarriage Prayer

My first three children were almost exactly two years apart. It wasn't planned that way but seemed to be God's way of sending us these gifts. Between my third and fourth child, however, is a gap of four years. If plans had gone our way, there would have been a baby two years after the third birth . . . and there was but God had other ideas for our Matthew. I was four months along when we miscarried. I ran across this prayer by Mother Angelica and wished I had read it when I went through that so wanted to make sure to share it today. Baby number five was born two years after the miscarriage. Although I will never forget the baby I lost, I have to thank God for the gift He sent me in this cheerful young man, my youngest son.

Mother Angelica's Miscarriage Prayer

My Lord, the baby is dead! Why, my Lord - dare I ask why? It will not hear the whisper of the wind or see the beauty of its parent's face - it will not see the beauty of Your creation or a flame of a sunrise. Why, my Lord?

"Why, My child, do you ask why? Well, I will tell you why. You see, the child lives. Instead of the wind, he hears the sound of angels singing before My throne. Instead of the beauty that passes, he see everlasting Beauty - he sees My face. He was created and lived a short time so tht he, who has the image of his parents imprinted on his face, may stand before Me as their personal intercessor. He knows secrets of heaven unknown to men on earth. He laughs with a special joy that only the innocent possess. My ways are not the ways of man. I created for My Kingdom, and each creature fills a place in that Kingdom that could not be filled by another. He was created for My Joy and his parents' merits. He has never seen pain or sin. He has never felt hunger or pain. I breathed a soul into a seed, made it grow, and called it forth."

I am humbled before You, my Lord, for questioning Your wisdom, goodness, and love. I speak as a fool - forgive me. I acknowledge Your sovereign rights over life and death. I thank You for the life that began for so short a time to enjoy so long an eternity.

No comments: