Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Juicy Chicken!

As most of you discover, chicken is usually the least expensive meat on the market. When I have a busy day, I usually end up putting the chicke in the oven with wedges of potato and go about my other chores. This is a handy way to cope with dinner on a crazy day but the chicken doesn't always come out juicy and tender. I'm not saying it is bad but I don't like to settle for just okay.

Yesterday, I put the chicken pieces in a sturdy plastic bag and poured in the juice of two lemons and 1/4 cup soy sauce. I sealed it shut and put it in the refrigerator. During the day, I would flip over the bag to insure the marinade was reaching all the chicken.

For dinner preparations, I drained the chicken and patted off the excess marinade. I tossed each piece in seasoned flour and placed on a parchment paper lined baking pan. I also scrubbed and quartered some potatoes for the baking pan only I rubbed them with a bit of olive oil and then into the same seasoned flour. The fat from the chicken would crisp the flour coating whereas the potatoes didn't have that advantage. I baked it all at 350 degrees for about an hour but this depends on the size of your chicken pieces.

I was amazed at how tender and juicy the chicken turned out. My children actually ate it down to the bone and the visiting kittens didn't mind the scraps. What greater praise, right? :-)

No comments: