Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cleaning Clutter Pays Off . . .

I was going through papers and books, saving and discarding as I went along. I ran across an ancient recipe card with just the dessert I've been thinking of but couldn't locate. Kind of nostalgic to hold this stained and spattered card and realize how many places it has been and find it in my possession once more. My mother baked this often when I was growing up. It was probably what got me enjoying lemon so much. I have made it over the year but it slipped my mind so I was happy for the reminder. Thought I'd share it with everyone. Perhaps, someone will end up making a family memory of it for themselves.

Tart Lemon Pie Cake

1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
pinch of salt
2 eggs - separated
2 lemons, juice and grated zest
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup whole milk
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

Bake the pie shell at 350 degrees for five minutes. Leave the oven on.

Combine sugar, flour, butter, salt, and egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Beat in the lemon juice and grated zest. Add milk and lemon extract, beating slowly. Whip egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into the lemon mixture. Pour into partially-baked pie crust. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until filling is set.

Let pie cool thoroughly. When you cut into the pie, there will be a delicate cake on top of lemon pie filling. Magic time!

No comments: