Monday, January 30, 2012

Almost Fried Chicken - an easier way . . .

My family likes fried chicken but there are two reasons why it doesn't happen too often around here: 1.) It takes a lot of oil to fry. and 2.) It isn't the healthiest way to serve chicken. I do like to treat them on special occasions, however, but I just remembered my third negative reason - I tend to get my shirts spattered with oil spots!

Yesterday, I tried an experiment. I marinated the chicken pieces in creamy Italian salad dressing for several hours. When it came time to frying it, I didn't! Instead, I wiped off the excess dressing and coated each piece with Panko crumbs, pushing them on to keep them in place. I put a rack on a large baking sheet, and then placed the chicken on the rack. This was so the underside wouldn't touch the pan and get soggy. I baked the chicken for approximately 45-60 minutes (depends on the size of your chicken pieces) in a 350 degree oven. About 15 minutes before it was done, I sprayed them liberally with vegetable oil spray to increase the crisp factor and browning.

The marinating provided us with very juicy chicken and there was enough crunch to please the fried-chicken fans.

It is up to you but I did season my Panko crumbs. I also remembered to make extra chicken as it tastes good cold, too.

No comments: