Sunday, December 11, 2011

Won the shopping game . . .

Okay, it wasn't exactly a game but I managed to get through the store, buy up their sale items, and save half on the cost of my groceries. Just about every item I purchased was on sale. The prices were almost the amount of our economy four years ago! I don't use coupons that much, anymore. Most of the available coupons are for items I don't generally use. Even if I get an item for a good price using the coupon, it isn't likely to be worth whatever low price I get it. I seem to do better just watching the sales and buying items I regularly need/use when they are reduced rather than stock up on products just because I can use a coupon. Also, I value my time and am not interested in a full-time job working on coupons. Everything in life has a value and we have to pick and chose.

I did enjoy using coupons when my children were younger. They would happily clip coupons that would get them free candy bars or trial offers on some new cookie or cracker. I saved and they got a treat. So, I'm not saying coupons are a waste of time but they seem to have a time and place in each of our lives.

My son laughed at me when we were on vacation as I soon came to recognize the word for 'sale' in both French and German. Hey, habits don't die easily!

Candy making didn't happen today but with the beef I got on sale along with the marked down mushrooms, my husband should be very happy with his dinner. It's early so some cinnamon rolls might rise to the occasion and heat up the house and his heart when he comes home from work.

I have a midnight date with the community college class enrollment. My son's date to register for them is tomorrow and I want to get on-line the moment it hits 'tomorrow' in hopes of getting him at least one or two classes this Spring. Nothing like a State government that can't provide an education for a knowledge-hungry citizen. Have to wonder, however, why the teachers salaries seem to increase, the administration get their annual raises, yet they have to cut back on college classes. Something not right with the world. Anyway, we have been praying for a reasonable outcome for getting into a couple of classes and finally getting started in college.

No comments: