Sunday, December 11, 2011

Peppermint Chocolate Cake

I discovered a recipe for Peppermint Chocolate Cake and tried it last night. The recipe was a bit detailed and I'm not entirely sure it was worth the effort. I'm not saying it wasn't tasty but I think it could have been accomplished with a lot less effort. A friend asked for the recipe and I came up with an easy alternative which should be better and moister than the one I labored over.

Simple ingredients - buy a boxed mix of devil's food cake, a bag of peppermint crunch bits (or grind up a couple of candy canes!), and a can of fudge frosting.

Bake the cake according to directions with the addition of a teaspoon of peppermint extract and two teaspoons of espresso powder. Mix the peppermint bits into the canned fudge frosting and frost your cooled cake.

I prefer baking from scratch but when the time and effort aren't rewarding enough, you can come up with a great alternative from using the help of a boxed mix - especially if you are in a hurry!

If you research the Internet, there are also suggestions on doctoring up an ordinary cake mix, too.

No comments: