Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Baking Accomplishments for the day . . .

By now, you can tell I enjoy baking and always welcome the Christmas Season when I can go a bit crazy. No, we don't eat all the cookies I make but have a lot of friends who look forward to their annual plates of homemade goodies.

It was an interesting feeling making the sandwich cookies pictured at the bottom right. It came from an ancient cookbook from my mother. The booklet is ancient, crumbling, but treasured by me. I rediscovered the cookie recipe today and wistfully looked at the notations I had made in the book when I doubled the recipe back when I was baking cookies with my mother. I remember this because I wasn't that good at fractions only being about nine years old at the time! Anyway, I made these cookies but decided on an orange frosting filling instead of peppermint.

My 'secret' for making orange frosting? You need orange zest, fresh orange juice, and orange extract to flavor the buttercream. I don't know what it is about the combination of the real orange juice and the extract but they make an amazing taste. I do the same with lemon buttercream with the equally good results.

In making room in the freezer for the cookies, I came across leftover ham so dinner was easy this evening - my reward for a day of baking. I also had fresh sweet potatoes on hand so they are baking in the oven while the ham is simmering is some fresh orange juice on the stove.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: