Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Browned Butter Shortbread . . . with a twist!

I had a slight inspiration today. I had splurged, yesterday, and enjoyed a bowl of hot, buttered popcorn in the evening while watching television. Not something I do very often but it had been a busy day and my husband insisted I deserved the treat. Must be obedient to one's husband, right?

I put the leftover popcorn in a Ziploc bag. I was thinking about my baking plans, this morning, and suddenly wondered  how it would be if I made a Browned Butter Shortbread but add the tasted of buttered popcorn to them. I ground up the leftover popcorn in the blender and, as you can see by the upper, left picture, it powdered up quite nicely. I went on with the recipe, as usual, and just folded in the powdered popcorn with the flour. It needed a tablespoon or two of shortening to compensate for the extra addition but, all together, it went together well. The baked results were just as tender and the taste, while not exactly like popcorn, had an interesting taste and texture. My teenage son, the cookie expert, ate five immediately and pronounced them a success.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: