Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sigh . . .

The worst part of having children in college? Nope, it's not the financial aspect although that is always with us. It is dropping them off at college after they have been home for a break. That was our job, today. My daughter seemed of two minds about it and I know we would love to have her back in the nest but that is another era and she is learning to manage on her own. As we were waving goodbye, one of her friends called out to her, she turned, and that's the last we had of a fond farewell. It does me good to see her involved and with friends. But, my mother's heart misses the tiny child that wouldn't let go of my hand.

Thought ahead today so we came home to the smell of pork cooking away in the crock pot. We treated our daughter to lunch out on the way to school so we didn't want to have another fast food meal this evening. The one reason the pork roast got cited for demise was the fact that I need the freezer space for cookie baking this week!

I feel a bit lazy as I type here and the rice cooker is dealing with the starch, the corn is braising on a back burner, and the pork is almost done . . . all on their own. I do enjoy telling anyone that bothers me right now, "Hey, can't you see I'm cooking dinner? Go away!"

About finished with Christmas shopping. We cut back this year because sending children to college is a gift, too! We did get each one something special and filled out the rest of the gifts with needed items. I'm going to wrap them next week so I don't have to hide them anymore!

Our poor dog was very depressed when only three of us returned home and 'her girl' wasn't in the group. I went out to pick oranges and Chick half heartedly hunted for lizards. No one has told her they have all gone into hibernation for the winter.

No comments: