Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cranberry Muffins

As I've mentioned before, this is my favorite time of year because fresh cranberries are available. What I like about them is you can freeze them and they work just fine straight from the freezer for most any dish. I watch for the sales so I can stretch this treat to the next season they are available. Some people like blueberry muffins. Me, I like the tart tang of cranberries in mine. I think my family is in agreement as I hardly get to eat one before the rest disappear!

Cranberry Muffins
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. You can either grease the muffin tins or line them with cupcake papers.

Combine all the ingredients except for the cranberries, orange zest, and vanilla. When just moistened and mixed, fold in the remaining items and divide into the 12-place muffin tin. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes before removing to a rack to finish cooling. Serve warm, cold, or even the next day . . . if they last that long.

Ideas . . .
No cranberries on hand, you can peel and dice up fresh apple instead.
Fresh blueberries will nicely substitute.
Adding 1/4 cup chopped nuts is good.

No comments: