Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Projects done . . . Projects to do . . .

I was happy to complete a crocheting order last night! I love working with soft, cream-colored yarn but was happy to be finished with the project at hand and get started on some brighter colors. Right now, I'm working on a turquoise/cream shawl. The primary color is the turquoise with bands of the cream yarn in two places. I'm working quickly through this one because I've acquired some beautiful, soft green yarn with a darker green in the same green category. I'm always doing that . . . Even as I happily work on one project, my eye is always on the next one.

Although I'm down to just hand sewing on my latest quilt, it has gotten neglected as I finish up orders and work on Christmas gifts. I go between wanting to sew and wanting to knit/crochet. I'm so blessed that my mother instilled the craft of crocheting and knitting into me at an early age. In fact, I was way ahead of the mini skirt fashion craze. I crocheted a skirt for my doll when I was about six or seven . . . and got tired of the project so, thus, the first mini skirt!

My mother disdained quilting for some reason and didn't encourage me into even trying it. I don't know why she disliked it so much but she often said it was 'stupid' to cut up fabric only to sew it together, again. I was married before I took up quilting and discovered it filled an artistic void for me. I was an art major in college but, for financial reasons, had to work outside my love of painting, etc. When I started putting fabrics and colors together, I rediscovered my 'painting'!

Anyway, I enjoy keeping my hands busy in the evening when the work is done and I can relax with a good movie or show on television and accomplish something, too. Which reminds me, I have to put away my pile of sewing stuff that is gracing my chair in the living room before company walks in the door on Thursday!

Have a quick trip to the store for turkey wings to make broth for the gravy and then it is on to baking bread for the stuffing on Thursday.

No comments: