Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Countdown to Thanksgiving . . .

We are quite literally within sight of Thankgiving as of today. All I know is that I have a lot of preparation to do tomorrow so that leaves today for clean up and organization. I know life will be easier once I can get that turkey out of the refrigerator in order to put other food stuffs in it's place. Once a year, it would be nice to have an extra refrigerator!

There is always an uneasy sense of anticipation on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. I'm ready to get into the floury dust of baking yet it is a bit too soon! I'm anxious to smell pies baking and turkey broth simmering for the gravy yet it is a bit too soon! Unfortunately, it will seem like minutes before I'm looking back on all the preparations and wondering where the time went and how come it is over already. A human weakness is our rush to reach the goal and not always enjoying the journey to the goal.

I know our dog will be excited about Thanksgiving as she will have the company visiting that enjoy patting her on the head and giving her all the ear scratches she can stand plus the smell of cooking food and hopes of some tasty bits in her dog food that evening.

Just a little bit sad as two of my four children won't be home for the holiday. The family joining us for dinner will be missing one from their crew, too. Funny . . . while the holidays still mean so much to us, as parents, our growing children have no problem being away from home for it. I know, I know, it is a 'rite of passage' and, some day, they will be going through the same thing with their college children.

Here's hoping everyone is busily looking forward to a wonderful day on Thursday and that we all remember to pray for the people who do not have the joy of looking forward to a gathering of friends and family with whom to share a festive meal.

No comments: