Monday, October 24, 2011

To marinade or not to marinade . . .

Even with all the years of cooking to my homebody credit, I never seriously considered marinading anything unless I was making Sauerbraten which is beef basically soaked a day or two in an herbed vinegar bath in the refrigerator. It didn't seem to make sense to me unless I wanted that Sauerbraten flavor.

I recently tried a recipe and followed it religiously to see how it would actually come out. It called for marinading the pork chops. Thinking I knew better, I followed this instruction anyway. When I seared the marinaded pork chops, they smelled extra good. Coincidence? When I plated the pork chops and we cut into the first bite it was like a sudden light illuminating the room. I had never cooked a pork chop that came out THAT juicy and tender. I was sold and even now have a beef roast . . . marinating in the refrigerator!

So, I learned not to think I know it all 'cause I don't! I've also learned to think ahead when I make steak or chops because I WANT them to marinate sufficiently. I'm now a marinating cooking snob and don't plan to change.

It was so simple, too. All I do is use 1/2 cup of red or white wine, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and time - about one to six hours. I usually remember to put it together when I get home from morning Mass, turn it a few times during the day, and then have it ready for dinner.

I'm a marinating convert which doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean!

No comments: