Thursday, October 27, 2011

Molasses Cookies

I like drop cookies and more especially, spicy molasses cookies. They are usually the first on my baking list at Christmas time. They are also often the first to disappear from cookie plates. To make things even easier, I use a cookie scoop. It looks and works just like an ice cream scoop only cookie size. Of course, one can also use the regular ice cream scoop if they want really, really huge cookies!

Molasses Cookies
1 1/2 cups softened butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I've been known to substitute a cup of the all-purpose for whole wheat flour)
5 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
2 tablespoons finely chopped orange zest
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 Coarse sugar for rolling cookies (I like using a rainbow colored type)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and well incorporated. Add the eggs, vanilla, and molasses, beating well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, spices, candied ginger,  and orange zest, Add to creamed butter and sugar and mix until it forms a workable dough.

Shape or scoop into 1-inch balls. Roll in coarse sugar and place around 2 inches apart on a lightly vegetable oil sprayed baking sheet. To really avoid any sticking problems, I prefer using parchment paper.

Bake for approximately 8-12 minutes or until the tops crack. Let rest on baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks.

Ideas . . .

For a really fat cookie treat, you can sandwich the cookies with either a tart lemon frosting or a sweet cream cheese frosting.

Instead of using the coarse sugar, try some other cake decorating item like the rainbow nonpareils.

2 comments:

Sue Duffield said...

I too adore molasses cookies... Problem for me is: I prefer to eat the BATTER much more than the baked cookie!!! I know that is so not right to do, but I do indulge,,,,,just a tad. No where near like I did when I was a kid though! My mother's recipe is an old one, passed down from her great grandmother. Still a fav around here, even after she has gone on. I just made a huge batch and sent them north (I live in TN) to my family!

Barbara Maria said...

Oh, that reminds me about my youthful cramming of the raw dough from my favorite 'garbage cookies' recipe. I'll have to post that recipe soon. Too bad we sort of have to grow up and be at least AWARE that we shouldn't be doing that!