Thursday, September 1, 2011

Shopping in minutes, savings in dollars . . .!

I wonder why the smaller grocery stores are able to offer better prices than the larger, chain markets? I thought I was getting top value for my dollar until I ventured into a smaller one that was near our home. I just needed a couple of things and decided that spending a bit more to save some time would be worth it. It ended up being a lot cheaper with better quality. Decided to do my grocery shopping there, again, today and got enough chicken and meat for  five meals in addition to cereal, pesto, dried mushrooms, Italian bacon, onions, a watermelon and fresh asparagus for under $40. At my usual grocery store, just the meat would have cost that much.

After Mass, my son and I got an early start on the day. Earlier than I thought when we tried to enter the shoe store only to find out it opens at ten and it was 9:52 by our watches. We found the shoes he needed and avoided any other purchase temptations. I treated to a take-away lunch as we came well under budget on the shopping.

Now, I have an afternoon in front of me. My son is never hungry for dinner if he has a big lunch so I won't have to stop to cook this evening. Hmmmm . . . Now, I wonder what I could do to while away the time? Did anyone say quilting? Okay, if you insist! Only because my hand was forced here.

No comments: